Merrylegs can also offer hydrotherapy for dogs, Laura Browne is a qualified hydrotherapist and operated her own very successful pool for 4 years in England.
Hydrotherapy is derived from the Greek word meaning water healing. It is controlled aquatic exercise in heated sanitized water.
It’s particular value comes about because of the effects of the warmth and pressure of the water and particularly the buoyancy provided. Some of the main benefits are:
· Non weight bearing exercise
· Relief from pain, swelling and stiffness
· Promotion of relaxation
· Joint mobilisation
· Cardiovascular fitness (heart and lungs)
· Muscle strengthening, maintenance & restoration
· Increase in range of motion of affected joints
· Improved circulation
Hydrotherapy can be used for a number of reasons, the most common circumstances are
· Pre-operative conditioning such as muscle building and toning, prior to surgery can be effective without further damage to affected joints etc., In certain cases the building up of muscle before surgery can reduce the dog’s rehabilitation time post surgery as well as make the process easier.
· Post-operative rehabilitation for multitude of conditions can be based around or greatly assisted by hydrotherapy. Common examples include cruciate repair, OCD, hip and elbow dysplasia, hip replacement, and general fixation.
· Treatment can also be beneficial in cases of CDRM, arthritis, spondylosis, nerve damage, muscle, tendon and ligament injuries.
· Obesity can be tackled in conjunction with your vets’s recommended diet. The non-weight bearing, non-impact nature of the work in the pool is more gentle to joints and muscles than land based exercise.
· Elderly dogs that are suffering from little more than old age, and perhaps arthritis, can greatly benefit from hydrotherapy treatment. Many dogs in this category start to lose general fitness and muscle tone, as well as put on weight, due to the decreased level of exercise that they can cope with. The non-weight bearing work in the pool, allows the dog to exercise it’s joints more easily, with less pain and through greater movement, therefore building general fitness and muscle tone.
For more information please contact us.